“The more that you read, the more things you will know. The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.”
― Dr. Seuss, I Can Read With My Eyes Shut!
Creative entrepreneurs wear all kinds of hats—we’re digital marketers, we’re designers, we’re copywriters, we’re a little bit of everything. In any case, as a creative entrepreneur, you must have the ability to transform the beige and boring into something that everybody wants.
But this is easier said than done.
We know plenty of designers who want to improve their copywriting skills and plenty of copywriters who want to know how to do a thing or two in Illustrator. Why? Because they know it will set them apart from the competition.
It doesn’t hurt for digital marketers to know a thing two about design and copywriting both but creative entrepreneurs should have at least a basic understanding of all three—digital marketing, copywriting, and design—if they want to succeed.
A little harsh, but true.
Loosely translated, our little quote from Dr.Seuss at the beginning of this post means you should never stop learning and expanding your skill set if you want to continue to grow.
If you want to excel as a creative entrepreneur we recommend checking out any and all of the books on this list.
What’s your favorite book about design, digital marketing, or copywriting? Tell us in the comments, please. We’re looking for new titles to add to our bookshelf.
Sharpen your copywriting skills, read
- Bird by Bird: Some Instructions on Writing and Life – This book is a treasure and by far one of the best things you will read in your life. Creative entrepreneur or not. It’s targeted more towards creative writers and novelists. It won’t help you write copy that sells but it will inspire you and teach you how to keep creating every single day.
- D&AD: The Copy Book – The Copy Book is a must have for creatives and copywriters. The lessons found here on writing clearly and persuasively apply to all creative entrepreneurs.
- Read Me: 10 Lessons for Writing Great Copy – If your goal in life is to master the written word Read Me will teach you how. The 10 lessons inside are easy to understand, difficult to apply. But that’s kind of the whole point. Once you’ve mastered the application you should consider yourself a great copywriter.
- The Idea Writers – Do you want to understand the realities of creative business today? Read this book. The Idea Writers provides an in-depth understanding of how the advertising business works and how we as creatives can bring our terrific ideas to life.
Fine-tune your design skills, read
- Just My Type: A Book About Fonts – Fonts are incredibly powerful in design. In this book, author Simon Garfield uncovers where fonts come from and why we need so dang many of them.
- 100 More Things Every Designer Needs to Know About People – You should probably read 100 Things Ever Designer Needs to Know About People too, they’re both the bomb. They both use real science and research with examples to deliver a guide book every designer (and creative entrepreneur) should have on their shelf.
- Kern and Burn: Conversations with Design Entrepreneurs – This book features candid conversations with 30 designers about their successes and failures as they built their careers. You’ll learn a lot from this one.
- Jony Ive: The Genius Behind Apple’s Greatest Products – The only biography on this list, this book explores the man behind design at Apple. It discusses everything from Ive’s dyslexia to becoming the lead designer of his generation.
Whet your digital marketing appetite, read
- All Marketers Are Liars – Seth Godin discusses the importance of being authentic with your branding campaigns. To be a great digital marketer / creative entrepreneur, you have to be genuine.
- Content Inc. – The full title of this one is actually Content Inc.: How Entrepreneurs Use Content to Build Massive Audiences and Create Radically Successful Businesses. It’s a mouthful, but it’s a fundamental read for anyone who wants to understand the importance of content in marketing campaigns.
- Hug Your Haters: How to Embrace Complaints and Keep Your Customers – Although this book is more about customer service than straight up digital marketing, it’s an important read for everyone because smartphones and social media have fundamentally altered the science of how people make and respond to complaints.
- You’re My Favorite Client – Successful marketing campaigns are built on a foundation of understanding your client’s expectations. You’re My Favorite Client provides you with tools and techniques you can use to ensure you kick every project off right: with a clear understanding of what your client wants.
Just like Dr.Seuss said, “The more that you learn, the more places you’ll go.” That’s what creative entrepreneurship is all about, right? Learning and growing your creative abilities for success?
That’s how we interpret anyway. If you think differently, feel free to tell us about in the comments. We’d be happy to talk.